At its July meeting, the American Psychiatric Association’s Board of Trustees voted to endorse position statements in support of access to care and civil rights for transgender individuals.
The APA’s official positions:
Therefore, the American Psychiatric Association:
1. Supports laws that protect the civil rights of transgender and gender variant individuals
2. Urges the repeal of laws and policies that discriminate against transgender and gender variant individuals.
3. Opposes all public and private discrimination against transgender and gender variant individuals in such areas as health care, employment, housing, public accommodation, education, and licensing.
4. Declares that no burden of proof of such judgment, capacity, or reliability shall be placed upon these individuals greater than that imposed on any other persons.
5. Recognizes that appropriately evaluated transgender and gender variant individuals can benefit greatly from medical and surgical gender transition treatments.
6. Advocates for removal of barriers to care and supports both public and private health insurance coverage for gender transition treatment.
7. Opposes categorical exclusions of coverage for such medically necessary treatment when prescribed by a physician
From Transgender Persons Have Rights Too
Thanks Cael (writer of Lezbelib’s Exploring Gender)
(You can follow Cael’s Tumblr HERE)
LGBTQ* Links, Guides, Manuals, Outreach and Supportive Literature
for the Trans* Community and their Allies