LGBTQ People and Organizations You Should Know
(one of the founders of Daughters of Bilitis pickets Independence Hall -1965-)
Daughters of Bilitis —
* First Lesbian Rights Organization in the USA
* Founded in 1955 in San Fransisco
* Named after a Sapphic French Poet (Pierre Louys)
- Education of the variant…to enable her to understand herself and make her adjustment to society…this to be accomplished by establishing…a library…on the sex deviant theme; by sponsoring public discussions…to be conducted by leading members of the legal psychiatric, religious and other professions; by advocating a mode of behavior and dress acceptable to society.
- Education of the public…leading to an eventual breakdown of erroneous taboos and prejudices…
- Participation in research projects by duly authorized and responsible psychologists, sociologists, and other such experts directed towards further knowledge of the homosexual.
- Investigation of the penal code as it pertain to the homosexual, proposal of changes,…and promotion of these changes through the due process of law in the state legislatures.”
(for more information - check out the documentary BEFORE STONEWALL)