“To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.” —~ e.e. cummings
“You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.” —~James A. Froude
Fisherman and Son
- -The FISHERMAN, fifty-one, sits in his recliner in front of the television, flipping the remote, the volume blaring. Across the room, on the couch, sits his SON, twenty-seven, staring at him; anxious, something on his mind. After several false starts and what seems like an eternity, the SON speaks.-
- SON: (quietly) Dad, I'm gay.
- - The FISHERMAN hits the mute on the remote. The room goes silent. A long, agonizing moment. For the SON, the world has stopped. He stares at his father, waiting for a response. Anything -- the silence is maddening. -
- FISHERMAN: I figured it was that.
- - His son is confused. -
- SON: You figured what was that?
- - More silence. -
- FISHERMAN: Why we never talk.
- - Both men sit there, staring at the muted television.- FADE TO BLACK
- Kevin Williamson (of DAWSONS CREEK and VAMPIRE DIARIES)
- from the book WHEN I KNEW
“Pronouns make it hard to keep our sexual orientation a secret when our co-workers ask us about our weekend. “I had a great time with… them.” Great! Now they don’t think you’re queer - just a big slut!” —~Judy Carter
“I’ve always said it isn’t who you love, it’s how you love. Genitalia is just simply (G)od’s way of accessorizing.” —
—Sharon Gless as Debbie Novotny
Queer As Folk (US Series)